Saturday, April 21, 2007

Roughin' it

I'm enjoying my one day off this week. Doin nuthin. That's right, nothing. No laundry, no dishes, no cooking, no cleaning, nothing. It's sweet heaven.
I went to Boise for a week last month to learn how to "listen". Really to learn how to help someone work through a traumatic situation, like some fatality in the Park. I had to do a lot of role playing, and lead discussions of fictitious events, then get critiqued afterward. One of the criticisms I received was whenever I would begin to speak I would make a soft clicking sound first. A vocal tick much like saying "uh". So, I started paying more attention to the way I speak, and it is true. I click. Especially when I'm nervous. I'm a clicker. Kodi the clicker, that's me. Very humbling.

I then went to Fruita, Colorado in mid April, and am now, officially, a Tread Lightly Master Trainer! So, if you wish to learn how to Tread Lightly, I'm your master.

Next, I get to lead a Leave No Trace Master Educator course for a week. This involves backpacking for 4 days. Ah, hiking in 80 degree weather with a 45 lb pack, cooking dehydrated meals, peeing in the sage brush, drinking and eating sand, crawling into a bivy tent, slipping into your lightweight sleeping bag smelling like sweaty girl, and sleeping on a one inch pad. Only to wake up and repeat. God I love backpacking!!!!!!! Who seriously wouldn't? Makes me feel more alive than anything else in this world.

I'll try and post pictures of my backpack when I return.

3 comments:

NME said...

I have a horrible vocal tick - it's a sort of guffaw that I do constantly when I speak. I wish I could learn how to stop it.

I'm so glad you enjoy backpacking. It sounds like a version of hell to me. But that's what makes the world go around.

A Man without a Band said...

Hey Kodi!

I don't think I've ever noticed the ticking. I'll have to start listening. I'm sure I have a slew of "tells."

Hope you're doing okay. We're going to try to go down to St. George on Sunday for a kind of artsy-music-booth bazaar held by a guy who owns an andean import store and works for Blue Sky Recycling. Thought it would be fun to get a bunch of us together to go down. I'll have Jennifer give you a call. Or more realistically, I'll pester Jennifer until she picks up the phone.

Otherwise, you should stop by sometime after work on your way home. Some saturday, maybe. Especially now that the weather is getting better. Be great to see you.

That's about it... kind of. Life is changing, but hopefully for the better. Not that it's bad now, but it could be better (could always be better, right?).

take care and hopefully see you soon.

shawnak said...

I am with NME, sounds like hell on earth to me. I camp in a Cabin ;) and explain the eating of sand??? On purpose? Surely not. You rock my pink socks girl!!! YOu should have your own show called GIRL vs WILD!!

Hey I will be in Salt Lake JUNE 16th for the reception. We come home the 24th!!!! YAY seeing cousins, and laughing, and beer???!!!! Can't wait to see you. It's almost here