Monday, September 26, 2005

Going Bananas




I walked out of the Visitor Center on Saturday, and I saw this tarantula. He was trying to get into the Women's restroom for some odd reason. I say he, because I am guessing it is a male wandering around looking for a girlfriend, as male tarantulas tend to do this time of year. Maybe he thought he would find his soul mate in the women's loo, but I was afraid his lust would get him squished. I took newspaper and carefully herded the spider out of the way and into the bushes, consequently getting my picture taken about 30 times by curious and fascinated tourists. It was kinda fun. The picture on the top left is of one of my favorite hikes. I have probably hiked this trail close to 50 times for my job, and I still love it. It is never the same, each time I hike it. Jennifer and I tried to hike it last February, but the footing was too slick with ice and snow. I, of course, slipped and fell right into the freezing cold creek, which thankfully was only a few inches deep.

I went up to central Utah on Friday to do a school program for 4th graders. I love doing school programs. The kids usually are pretty excited to see me, and some remember me years later. I usually take 2 live kingsnakes with me, but I didn't think it would be healthy for them driving in a car for hours there and back again. But I took a bunch of skulls, snake sheds, owl pellets, and raptor feathers. It was fun, yet draining, and I would have killed for a Mt. Dew by the end. I really admire teachers after visiting their classrooms. I'm only there for a few hours, and I'm physically drained by the end. Teachers do it every day. So, here is to all you wonderful teachers out there (especially Missuzj, Lonna, and Shawna) who inspire and educate. I raise my glass to you. I am in awe of your intelligence, patience, and skill. I admire you.

4 comments:

hazel said...

tarantulas. just walking around. and you just stuck it in the bushes.

ho. ly. shiiiizaaaaaahhhhhh.

yeah, teachers rule!! but it's really nice that you do what you do, too. I wish I had a more worthwhile job.

Missuz J said...

Thanks for the sweet words. However, I must say that I am very unsuited for taranula rescue operations, snake transport, and winter hiking, and think you are amazing for being able to do what you do. Luckily, we both found our place in the world.

lonna said...

Thanks for the kind words. Tarantulas fascinate me, but I've never really seen one close up. What a cool job you have. The picture of your favorite hike is just beautiful.

I remember dissecting owl pellets for freshman year biology class in high school. Gross. I bet they are more interesting if you find them yourself than if you get them out of your teacher's box.

shawnak said...

I am with the others in saying thank you for the compliment, but I could neither look at or rescue anything with 8 hairy legs!!! you were always more brave than I. You rock girl! Hey I am looking at coming to Salt Lake this summer with Q, maybe in June. We will have to get together and maybe my working out will pay off and you could take ME on a hike...ummm okay a really short one!
Love ya tons cuz!