Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I love rock and roll

I was tagged ages ago for my top five songs I'm listening to right now. I didn't do it at first, because I felt that most people would find my list ridiculous. But, as today I can't think of much else to blog about, I'll reveal my total lack of coolness.

Here goes, top 5 songs

1. Doesn't remind me by Audioslave
2. Sugar by System of a Down
3. Son of a Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield
4. Every song on the Flogging Molly Swagger C.D
5. Dragula by Rob Zombie

I know, many believe it is impossible to like Rob Zombie AND Dusty Springfield, but alas I like to sing, and Son of a Preacher Man is fun as hell to sing.

As a teenager, I listened to all those glam rockers like Tesla, Firehouse, Def Lepard. I loved that shit. And it was, truly, shit. I went to several crazy concerts. My first concert ever was the ....drum roll, Judas Priest/Raven concert, then came Bon Jovi/Cinderella at the Salt Palace. Then the largest and craziest concert I ever went to was the Kiss/Winger/Slaughter extravaganza. WHOOOOO HOOOOO. I was trying to get close to the stage when Slaughter was playing, cuz the lead singer was wicked hot, but with the masses of people pushing and shoving, I just managed to get felt up about a hundred times. Then, I enjoyed the Tesla/Firehouse concert on the lawn in Park City.

Now, I'm just too cheap to fork out tons of money to see mainstream musicians. I like to listen to them when I'm working out, and in the car. Good enough for me. Give me big bands on the radio, and local bands in the city park for free.

Kiri listens to 50 Cent, and Nelly, and Usher, and crap and crap and crap. I think it is in our DNA to hate the kind of music our parents listened to. One day she was playing 50 Cent's song "Candy shop" and I almost freaked out at how nasty the lyrics were. I mean, "She's my Cherry Pie" is pretty fucking tame compared to some of the shit she listens to. What do you do? You tell them you won't buy the C.D, so they get a friend to burn a copy for them and they listen to it any way. I think you can just hope at this point you've taught them enough, and they will not get pregnant immediately after listening to hip hop. I think that music forcibly causes a woman to ovulate. Just a theory.

6 comments:

hazel said...

haaaaaahahaaaaa, hope they don't get pregnant immediately after. nice.

trent rewrote the lyrics to candy shop to actually be about a candy shop. that was sweet, no pun intended.

my husband is a total metalhead, too. though he hasn't grown out of it.

nice picks. you're not a dork at all.

NME said...

I loved me some Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine but can't get into the Audioslave. I've tried, oh how I've tried.

I admit I like "Candy Shop." It's filthy and I'm not too keen on the words frankly but the beat is irrefutable and 50's gravelly voice is so sexy. But yeah - it is definitely too raw for radio in my opinion.

amandak said...

You know, it's been scientifically proven that girls are more likely to ovulate on prom night. Scary.

When I was Kiri's age, I totally wanted to be the girl in the 'Cherry Pie' video, and I had NO IDEA what they were talking about.

Rock on.

lonna said...

I love Dusty Springfield! I all about being eclectic. I listen to a lot of punk music, but I love mid 60's women singers like Dusty and Petula. I even own a Vicki Carr album. I love to see when people's favorites are all over the map. That's much more interesting than liking all of the same stuff.

Missuz J said...

We are definitely overdue for some Karaoke Revolution. Tomorrow night? Maybe Saturday?

shawnak said...

Yeah I remember the summer I stayed with you guys and your mom took us to the mall in SLC and I bought Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet tape...hee hee tape, how 80's. Still think Bon Jovi is HOT!!!
But have to go with Kiri on Usher 50, Nelly love all the hip hop. And hate to admit but Q has all unedited rap CD's. Thank god a boy can't get pregnant. Wheww!!!!