Monday, November 28, 2005

Nightmares

I had the worst dream last night. I dreamed that I was a chaperone at Kiri's school for a dance, and I couldn't find her anywhere. I was searching and searching, when I decided to check out the old dilapidated building behind the school (why there was an run down hovel behind the school never seemed relevant). I found Kiri in this dirty shed having sex with some dude, and I wigged out. I was screaming and crying, telling her I was sending her away to boarding school, and oh my god did you use protection, what if you're pregnant, my world is crashing down around me. And Kiri just calmly and coldly told me she could do whatever she wanted and there was nothing I could do to stop her. I woke up at that point, still crying. It was such a relief to realize it was a dream.

That made me think of some re-occurring dreams I have had all my life. I wonder what they mean, if anything. One common dream of mine is that I have super powers to shoot lightning out of my fingers, but I have to concentrate really hard, and sometimes it won't work. When I dream of flying, I don't flap my arms, but I swim through the air, or sometimes glide using air currents.

I often dream about hiding from someone that is trying to hurt me, and as I am running around evading this mystery killer, I realize I have forgotten to put on my shoes, and the loss of my shoes is more distressing than being chased by a maniac.

I have dreamed that I was a man on several occasions, and a very sexy man at that. I will even have sex with a woman, while I am a man in my dreams. Weird.

Dreams of snakes are also pretty common. I work with snakes for my job, so that's probably where the theme comes into the picture. Once I dreamed that my mail lady brought me a bucket of sea snakes, and we decided to go into my bedroom and smoke some weed. Whilst we were toking up, the snakes got loose, and the rest of the dream was my running around trying to catch them all without being bitten.

6 comments:

lonna said...

What a scary dream. Oh, parenting just gets harder as they get older, doesn't it?

I'm not a big believer in dream interpretation. I think that they are your brain's way of dealing with stuff while you are sleeping. So sometimes the point of a dream seems obvious, like your dream last night. Other times they don't seem to make any sense, like your man dreams. I just figure that our brain needs to do some stretching and exercising and that it gets whatever it needs from dreams.

Missuz J said...

My weirdest dream was a gorilla, chasing me through a swamp, trying to steal my cheese. Hmmm

hazel said...

if you do happen to believe in dream interpretation, snakes are supposed to be lies. perhaps you were worried about toking up with someone and covering it up to, say, kiri? I often dream about having to use the bathroom but the bathrooms either offer very little privacy or they are all overflowing with urine and feces and I don't want to touch it. or that I'm trying to hover over the bowl but I wind up accidentally sitting down. I read somewhere that this is a metaphor for holding onto things that you no longer need (ie, feces) and feeling overwhelmed by them all. I can buy that for sure.

I dream about flying too, where I'm just jumping in the air and staying there, sort of like the wind currents.

I'm sure the kiri dream you had was probably about her growing up. it's scary, isn't it?

shawnak said...

Man I hate when I am searching and searching for my son, or when I am at a party or somewhere far away and realize all of a sudden I realize I am a mom and have forgotten to bring my son with me!
Oh the joys of motherhood!

Kathryn said...

What an awful dream! I used to have a recurring nightmare that I was snow white and the wicked witch had me trapped in her canoe on that scary fog covered river. Wonder what that one means.

amandak said...

I had a recurring dream there for awhile that someone was chasing me with a knife and trying to cut my face. He got close enough once to slash the side of my head, and I could totally feel it. It was SUPER FREAKY.

Also wanted to tell you what a great time I had with you Friday night. It's such a good thing to laugh, and laugh hard. Thanks.