Sunday, December 04, 2005

Some things that baffle me

While I was at work this week, and watching those around me, I began to ponder those strange idiosyncrasies that people have that puzzle me exceedingly.

For instance: Why do young women feel the need to say everything at the top of their lungs? In the grocery store, when two or more young ladies are masses together, they all yell, scream, and laugh as if they are all experiencing sudden loss of hearing. I admit, when I've had a few cocktails in me, I tend to up the volume, but hardly to the extent of the typical 19 year old girl. I noticed in Norway, that the young women there talked quietly, sans the shrieking. Maybe it's an American thing.

Why does NO ONE read a map before going on vacation? Even before I was a ranger, I planned my trips carefully, knew what freeways and exits to take, and had reservations for the places I wished to stay. Yet on an everyday basis, people come into our Visitor Center with absolutely no clue where they are or how to get where they want to be.

Why do people bring tiny babies into a movie theatre? If you, dear readers, happen to be one of these people, I hope to not offend. But, when I went to see "The Amityville Horror" I was completely dumbfounded when 2 couples walked into the theatre with very small babies, which proceeded to fuss and cry the entire show. Don't get me wrong.....I love babies, but when I attend a movie rated PG-13 or higher, I do not expect or appreciate being inundated by noisy children. If I attend a Disney movie, I expect noisy children.

Why do ATM's only spit out $20 bills? At my district, we charge a $10 entrance fee. I typically run out of change before noon, and must resort to begging visitors for the correct amount. I would love to personally take a baseball bat to all fucking ATM's on a daily basis. On the same note, why are people so reluctant to part with their tens or fives? Often I will SEE a ten in their wallet as they prepare to pay, but they pass it over and invariably hand me a twenty. What the fuck is that? It makes no difference what you pay me with, the entrance fee doesn't change, so give me the Goddamn ten dollar bill for Christ's sakes.

Why can't people have their check pre-written before their groceries are done scanning? I can write most of my check out before it is my turn at the cashiers. It's not hard. I promise.

Why can't my daughter tell time? I tell her to be home before 8:00, and 8:30 rolls around and no Kiri. When she finally comes home, her excuse is always "I didn't realize how late it was". You're almost 14 years old for cryin out loud. Learn how to read a watch! And don't give me shit when I get angry at you for being late. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a teenager to be able to keep track of time.

Okay, my rant is over for now. I was thinking about adding sections on people who make funny or disgusting noises unconsciously, mothers who are hard to please, stranded visitors who think I should leave my post to drive them wherever they need to go, idiotic locals who can't comprehend the concept of an entrance fee, fucking rejects who like to tell me stories about killing snakes and shooting birds, men who can't flush the toilet or rinse out the bathtub after using it, and husbands who are so fucking noisy in the morning a person can't sleep in on their day off, and much much more. But I don't want to sound like a negative person.

3 comments:

Missuz J said...

I hear your pain sista. I'd add to that list, why do teenagers find it IMPOSSIBLE to bring a pen to class, and how what happens to the ones I give them DAILY?

Why does my dog's food smell fairly innocuous, but his farts are down right deadly?

and my favorite,

Is it that FUCKING HARD to use your turn signal for Christ's sake? It's not like it involves using a major muscle group or something.

lonna said...

I agree with you on all of these too. I also wonder why people think it's necessary to block the end of shopping aisles while talking to other people or to put their carts in the middle of the aisles which are made for two carts. Can you tell we went shopping today?

hazel said...

okay, I had a great comment all typed out (including a hearty laugh) and then a "thing that baffles me" happened:

WHY have a fucking FIRE DRILL on a fucking monday morning when there is an inch of ice and snow on the ground????????????????