Monday, December 05, 2005

nicknames

I was reading Rob's post and thinking about some of the nicknames I have had throughout the years.

When I was little, my father called me Kodi bear. My brother would often call me Kodi and the Koala bears, and, strangely enough, Costa Rica. My maiden name was Kodi Roholt, which as a little girl, I couldn't pronounce, so I called myself Kosi Hoho.

In high school, my best friend called me Ko, and as her name was Lori, I called her Lo. My boyfriend in school called me Karody Rowyourboat, and others would call me simply Rolo. I also was frequently called Kodi Coyote.

Kiri never called me mommy. It was always Mama, Mom, or Ma.

My best friend Becca calls me by my favorite nickname, Kodikins. A really good looking seasonal ranger called me Kodelicious for a while.

As a waitress many years ago, customers would often ask me if my name was Kodi as in Wild Bill the cowboy. I would promptly reply that it was Wild Bill Hickcock, so they must mean Buffalo Bill Cody. Get your cowboys strait you ignoramus.

I used to hate my name as a youngster. I always wanted a feminine name like Heather, or Amber. But now, as an adult, I really like my name. It fits me, as I was never girly enough to have a name like Victoria.

As I posted a while back, Kiri was named after the slave/warrior girl from Beastmaster. I called her Kir most of her life, but sometimes referred to her as "the little shit", until she got old enough to understand what that meant, though I intended it as an endearment.

Kiri's friends call her Kiwi, which always sounded to me like they had a speech impediment, but whatever.

8 comments:

lonna said...

I never really had a nick name. Some people would accidently call me Lonnie, which drives me nuts. So I don't respond to it. I don't see any point to replacing an "a" with and "ie". Ethan and I have a million terms of endearment, but to me that's different. Actually, I had a couple of friends who called me Lonna Mama in college because I was always trying to take care of everyone. It was more of a thank you than a butt out type of nickname.

hazel said...

as long as they don't call you Kodi Pendant. heh...heh....yeah. lame.

I love the name kodi. it does lend itself to many nicknames. I love the name kiri, too, especially when kiri is kodi's daughter. it just fits.

Stine said...

I used to hate my name as a youngster. I always wanted a feminine name like Heather, or Amber. But now, as an adult, I really like my name. It fits me, as I was never girly enough to have a name like Victoria.

- I used to hate mine too and pined for something more feminine. I was "Chris" for like 10 years. That was until I started to feel like "Pat" from the Saturday Night Live sketches.

I like Kodikins. It works.

Missuz J said...

My Kodikins--

I stalked you all day yesterday, but never tracked you down. Hope you had a good day off.

Missuz J said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katy said...

I was going to come up with some Narnia related nickname like daughter of _____ then I realized I don't know your mom's name. We'll stick with kodikins.

NME said...

KOSI HOHO rocks! IT sounds like a band name. And yum - I love Rolos.

I agree. I like how Kodi and Kiri match.

amandak said...

I always wondered about the name of your blog. The dotcom name, I mean. You can be Kodi and the Koala bears, and I'll be Amanda Panda, and we can be marsupials together, yay! (They're both marsupials, right??)

I heart Kodikins.