Saturday, December 10, 2005

Weak with relief

Oh my God, what a stressful week. Monday I was running last minute Christmas errands (sorry Becca, I was so not avoiding you). Tuesday was spent at South Elementary doing Animal Adaptations. The first 3 classes were wonderful. Smart kids, interested, respectful of my awesome inspiring presentation. Then I hit the last group. Holy shit, what an unruly classroom. One girl, who I am sure is a very nice girl, would NOT shut up while I was talking. I tried to talk over her a few times, then gave up and had to become stern ranger and tell her to please save her comments for the end of the presentation. Even after that she had her hand raised the rest of the class, and when I would finally call on her, she would go entirely off topic and tell me what this or that uncle did or saw, or whatever. Then this other little boy, who I am sure was the class clown, fell off his chair (how?, no idea) and when the class laughed at him, he proceeded to continue falling off his chair at intervals for the rest of the hour. Of course you have the obligatory nose picker, the many whisperers, and those who just really could care less what I was talking about. Where was the teacher you might ask? Well, I guess she decided since I was in the class that meant it was free time for her. I was exhausted when the class was finally finished.

To top it all off, I was a week late for my period. I was totally fucking freaking out thinking I was pregnant. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't concentrate, and I kept going to the bathroom every half an hour in hopes of seeing blood. I would surreptitiously check my boobs to see if they were tender. I didn't feel pregnant. After I was 6 days late, I decided to get a tester just to ease my mind, or find out for sure. So today, I bought a tester. I peed on the thingy, waited 3 minutes, and guess what? I AM NOT PREGNANT! Thank you Lord Jesus, I am not ready to be a mother again. Of course, 2 hours after I took the test, I started my period. I'm thinking I freaked myself out, and mentally fucked with my menstrual cycle.

So, I'm heading over to Missuzj's for a bit. And I can drink alcohol without worrying about weather I've got a bun in the oven. No bun, thank God. The relief is overwhelming.

4 comments:

lonna said...

My period has always been irregular. I will go through patches where it's every 28 days, and then boom, nothing for 3 months. I just went through that and I went through 3 pregnancy tests just to make sure. Usually I get my period within hours of a pregnancy test too, but this time it didn't happen. I'm glad that you saw the results you wanted.

The sad part is that the elementary classroom you described sounds like most college classrooms. I still have whisperers, the kid who wants to tell too many stories in class, and the kids who just don't care. You would think that that would get better with age.

Stine said...

I've made my period last 60 days before by freaking myself out.

Those kids sounded like a nightmare. Someone should have slapped that teacher upside the head.

hazel said...

I hate when I hear teachers leave the class like that. I'd be a wreck.

no buns in the oven, yay. isn't it crazy how the same story told by someone else would be cause for tears?

Missuz J said...

Glad you got the news you wanted. :)