Friday, July 15, 2005

Fire, fire

There is a fire in the Park. I drove up the road during a dry thunderstorm, and lo and behold, there was a fire. I called dispatch on the radio to report it, and stayed at work a little longer to monitor it. It is way cool when the helicopters fly over and dump gigantic buckets of water on the fires. Unfortunately this year I didn't get my red card to fight fires. I usually do, but when they call me on a fire they want a two week commitment. I have a teenage daughter. I can't be away from home for two weeks. So, I decided to not be a (sometimes, on rare occasions) wildland firefighter anymore.

Kiri and I are going to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory tonight. I'm looking forward to it, with all its crazy oddball-ness of Burton and Depp. I'll let you know if it is good or not.

I'm getting ready for my trip to Virginia in a week. Kiri is spending two weeks with my parents while I'm gone. It should be fun, sort of. I will love seeing Virginia for the first time, and visiting all those Civil War Parks in the area. Maybe I'll even get to dress in Civil War regalia and drink ale in a tavern. But, the thought of teaching 50,000 Boy Scouts about Leave No Trace at the national jamboree is a little daunting. Boy Scouts are the bane of a Park Ranger's existence. Every year I deal with boy scouts chopping down trees in the Park (illegal), starting fires (really illegal), catching snakes and lizards (illegal and pisses me off), vandalizing Native American sites (stupid and illegal), getting lost (not the kids fault, but really idiotic leaders), picking flowers - carving names in trees - littering-and generally making nuisances of themselves. The Boy Scout program is a wonderful tool for boys to learn to love the outdoors, but the leaders don't inspire any standard of land stewardship or ethic. They think they can do what they want. And so, now when I hike in some of my favorite places, I see wreck and ruin. WE have a responsibility to preserve the wild places so our children can experience them in the same condition that we did. And a responsibility to teach our children to love, enjoy and protect the few pristine wilderness areas our country has left. If people continue to cut down trees in our National Parks, litter, and poach, VERY soon there will be nothing left. It truly makes me want to weep.

Sorry, I am now off of my soap box.

So, it's off to Virginia next week, and I hope I can make a difference in some small way. God, I love my job.

I was getting coffee the other morning at a gas station before work, and this fellow saw me in uniform. He approached me and asked how the fishing was at Navajo Lake. I get this question all the time. I used to get irritated and tell them that I was a Park Ranger not a Forest Ranger or a Fish and Game Warden. But, I now realize that most people don't know the difference. Our uniforms are similar, and unless you work for a Federal or State land agency, you really wouldn't see a difference. So, now I check up on all the local fishing area updates. When asked, I smile prettily and tell them "the fishing is really good at Navajo right now."

Even my mother gets it wrong. Last month I heard her tell a friend that I was a Forest Ranger. It is somewhat irritating, as I have been a Park Ranger for 8 years now. She also tells people that I am the Wildlife Biologist for the Park, which is completely untrue, but it makes her look good in her friend's eyes. I guess since I didn't pursue my original goal of being a Veterinarian, nothing is quite good enough for her. Whatever. It doesn't bother me any more. I love her anyway.

Well, I'm off to the movies. Love to all, and don't forget ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT FOREST FIRES (which is from the Forest Service mascot Smokey Bear. not Smokey the Bear, that is wrong. It's just Smokey Bear. No the in the middle. Park Service doesn't have a mascot. I'll have to create one someday.)

2 comments:

amandak said...

We totally drove straight through the big fire on Black Ridge on our way back to Albuquerque a few weeks ago. I actually saw it start the day before as I was driving back from St. George. Saw the lightning strike. Saw the flames burning. It was crazy wild. And, it made me think of you. Today we were almost hit by lightning. Out of nowhere, no rain, nothing. It seriously had to have been in our driveway, if sounded, and felt, like a bomb went off. Scary as hell.

Those forces of nature, man, makes one recognize one's small, small place in the world.

Have fun at the movie. :)

hazel said...

there's no "the"? I will be vigilant in making sure the world knows that. I swear.

sean works for the cable company. which, as any student at a college can tell you ("hey, you go to duke? do you know [idiot]? he goes there too, I'm sure you know him"), means that everything having to do with cable is something he can fix or has control over. lost your remote? ask sean. you've been misbilled? ask sean. can't remember what channel baywatch is on? ask sean.

I am sure you feel similarly with your ranger position. so I feel for you.

I hate the boyscouts, too. solidarity, yo.