Monday, February 20, 2006

In the Words of the Immortal Sophie "I'm a Ropin Cowgirl"


Yesterday, Kendall and I went to the family ranch to check on the cows. Ken's father usually handles most of this, but he just had eye surgery, so it was up to us. The ranch is around 3 hours away, located on the Arizona Strip, which basically means "out in the middle of the freakin desert".
They used to run about 300 head of cows out there, but because of drought, there are only about 100 head. We checked the water and made sure all was well in what is really cow heaven.
This is definitely something I could do for a living. I love the desert, and I love the isolation. This area of Arizona is truly gorgeous, and we had a great time. We saw a coyote, 2 hawks (Northern Harriers), and Golden Eagle, and spectacular red cliffs. So, as I am a total slacker in the blog verse lately, I thought I'd share some of the photos.

2 comments:

lonna said...

That is such a different life from what I know. My grandparents lived on a farm, but it was actually my grandma's brother's farm. It was gone by the time I came around, so I never really got to see it in action. Any cows in my family were dairy cows and limited to a few.

hazel said...

love it.

have you seen brokeback mountain? besides the love story, the actual job that they do on the mountain is just so intriguing to me. you may enjoy that part of the movie. (I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in a very long time, btw.)