Friday, May 20, 2005

How does she learn to lie so well?

So this morning Kiri informed that it was "field day" at school, and therefore she didn't need to bother attending. I quickly informed her that she was indeed attending school today insipid of it being field day. She then told me, looking straight into my eyes, that the principal of the school had announced over the intercom yesterday that those students who wished to stay home on Friday (field day) may do so. Did she really think I would buy that? Honestly, for about 2 seconds I almost did. But then I quickly came to my senses and told her if she didn't get up for school, I would call the principal and ask him if he had announced a "come if you feel like it" day. And if I found she had lied to me, she would be grounded for a month. That did the trick, she sullenly got up and got ready for school.
I would have never dared lie so blatantly to my mother when I was her age. I also really liked field days, so I wanted to go to school.

Middle school is soooooo hard. I hated those weird gawky years in Middle school. But I still attended, and maybe only cut class twice in 3 years. Both times I felt guilty and anxious about the school work I would need to make up, because I felt responsible to make up my work and get good grades. It was important to me.

Somehow Kiri managed to bring her social studies grade up from a D to a B in 3 weeks. I was happy she did this, but she doesn't realize that in High School, there isn't a hurry up and get all your missing homework in at the last minute option. God, I'm worried about her going to High School in two years. I hope she matures some before then, and takes school seriously. She wants a cool car, and nice clothes, and a big house when she grows up, but she won't get that working at the Comfort Inn as a maid (which she has told me she plans to do next year, as this hotel will hire girls 14 years old to clean rooms. I think I'll let her do it, and then she'll realize how hard that kind of work is). What happened to the dreams of being a wildlife photography?

I always knew I was going to college. There was really no option. That is what I planned, and that is what I did. Granted, I got married, got pregnant and divorced all in six months, and that changed the plan drastically. But even as a single mom, I still took classes and slowly got my degree.

I guess I can't live through her and push my dreams and hopes on her shoulders, but I really wish I could give her a swift kick in the ass and a large dose of reality. I want her to feel successful in her life, whether she goes to college or not. But I'd prefer she go to college.

Off subject. I thought I'd put in the "funny visitor quote of the day" at the end of my blogs. I see tons of people every day visiting the Park, and I love the bizarre questions I get pretty much every day. So here goes.

"Do ravens eat peanuts or lizards?"
Ranger Kodi's answer "Er, both"

3 comments:

Missuz J said...

And don't forget, they love black rhinos.

NME said...

I HATED field day. In fact just reading the words field day made me want to crawl under the desk. I'm sure I tried to get out of school on field day - but I'm sure I pretended to be ill. For most of middle school.
Kiri is daring. And though I'm sure it doesn't feel great when your teenage daughter lies to you - you should take comfort in the fact that you raised your daughter to be so bold. That sort of confidence means she has no questions about how loved she is.

hazel said...

this is the stuff about parenting that makes my stomach turn. it's not life or death, but it's so important. and you have only a modicum of control - I mean, you can't MAKE her want to do well in life.

trent starts middle school next year. I am not looking forward to it.