Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Push the button

As many of you know, my friends and I are Karaoke junkies. Once Paul brought his extreme karaoke machine to a party at Becca's house. My wonderful, beautiful, gorgeous friend Jennifer and I commenced to hog the microphone and sing multiple songs in a row, laughing our asses off the whole time. We had a few drinks, and were feeling freaky. At one point, Paul came into the room to try and talk some sense into us about SHARING the karaoke time. Jennifer and I listened quietly, and nodded our heads appropriately. When Jen figured Paul was finished, she pointed at the karaoke machine which was paused on our next terrific number, and said simply "push the button." Now this may not sound hilarious to you, but I found it absolutely hysterical. I laughed long and hard, and often tease Jen by out of the blue telling her to "push the button."

It so happens when I was in Virginia, I was in an elevator with total strangers. At the time I was feeling rather numb from lack of sleep and intense humidity. The elevator doors closed and the stranger lady looks at her husband and says "push the button". At that moment I suddenly missed my friends so badly, I actually felt like I might cry. I didn't, but the possibility of tears was very real.

The feeling passed, and I had a wonderful experience in Virginia, but I just remember how melancholy I felt just by hearing that silly sentence.

Being rather sick at the moment (the snot factory is still in full production), I feel somewhat on the irritable side. So, I will take a clue from Becca's blog, and make a list of those things that really drive me crazy.

Things that drive me crazy
1. Redundancy (hahaha, damn I'm funny)
2. Snoring husbands
3. Snoring dogs under my bed
4. Doing all the dishes, then finding 10 empty cups and bowls in Kiri's room
5. People who drive across the country without doing any research what so ever on the places they wish to visit.
6. Rude flight attendants
7. squeeking Styrofoam cups or plates
8. Any kind of clicking, snapping, or beeping noises
9. People touching my face. I know that's sad, but for some reason when someone touches my face, it pisses me off
10. People invading my personal space. My friends have worked hard to cure me of this, and I can finally hug my friends freely, but there was a time when that made me very uncomfortable. Mostly now it only bothers me when people I don't know very well invade my personal space. I still can not stand to get a massage. Too much touching and closeness by total strangers.
11. Bad tippers. I've been a waitress, I know how hard it is, and even the best waitress has a bad day. And many times, bad service can be the fault of the cook, not the server. So, no matter what I always tip well.
12. Someone correcting my grammar. I actually have a great vocabulary, and very good grammar, but sometimes when I am excited or stressed, my grammar reverts to small town Utah talk. It also seems to be that the person who is correcting the grammar wishes to prove how much smarter they are than you, and I really hate smug grammar correctors.
13. When someone puts in a music CD, and doesn't listen to it completely or in order. I don't know why this bothers me, but it is along the same lines that once I start a book, I finish it, and I don't skip ahead. I must listen to a CD all the way through without skipping songs, or it bothers me.

So, now you all think I am a cranky bitch. Here are a few things that make me happy, just to even things out a little.

1. Buying t-shirts with cute sayings on them
2. Loosing 5 pounds
3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
4. Lusting after unattainable movie stars.
5. Boxes of wine
6. People who ask me questions about snakes, and are really interested in what I have to say
7. Seeing a black rat snake in Virginia
8. All of my fabulous friends, and their wonderful daughters.
9. Reading all of your blogs, and laughing out loud. You are all a witty bunch.
10. Riding my horse
11. Calling my brother when I'm drunk, and making him laugh.
12. Reading Jane Austen over and over
13. Brushing my daughters hair, though she doesn't let me do it very often any more.

4 comments:

A Man without a Band said...

Yeah, baby, I can be the first comment!

Did I say something about sharing the microphone? whew. had a few drinks THAT night. Probably just wanted to sing myself. By the way, just bought a new karaoke CD. "Sing like Haggard, Cash, and Jennings." GREAT!

I agree on your CD gripe. Music is put together in a certain order usually for a certain reason, and if done successfully, it flows such that you can't possibly play it in random (although I'll do this occassionally if I've had a CD in the player for like a month and still want to listen to it, but can't do it any longer in the right order... unless it's a concept album. Those should never be broken up).

And while I appreciate someone introducing me to a new album, it drives me nuts when they decide what songs I should hear. Just play the damn thing, and let me decide for myself.

Okay, enough for now.

NME said...

I'm with you on bad tippers. Because I was a waitress I overtip as a general rule. If the service is really bad I give 15% - but most often I give about 20% or higher when rounding to the dollar. Waitressing sucks and in my opinion they earn it. Of course we should be teaching teachers and nurses too in my opinion.

It's great that you have a supportive and loving group of friends who you enjoy spending time with - as well as a beautiful daughter.

hazel said...

I am not a big hugger, either. I can get a massage, but I am usually not so keen on the hugging. especially by people I don't know well.

I wish I were a karaoke junkie. and I wish I knew alot about snakes.

amandak said...

Heh Heh...push the button...heh heh heh.