Sunday, August 28, 2005

Tales of the 34 year old grandmother

Yes, I'm a grandmother. I should clarify. I'm a step-grandmother, but my step-daughters don't see the distinction, and tell me I am a grandma. Not that I mind, I don't. The kids are wonderful. David is 1, and Alexis was just born last week, the cute little tyke. It does feel weird being called grandma, but I have always thought the world of my step-kids, and now I get to spoil their children for many years to come.

Alexis was born on the 24th. We rushed down to Vegas around 8:00 that night (and let me tell you, finding that hospital was not easy). She was born by C-section at 11:30. We were all a little tense because the cord was wrapped around the baby's neck and she wasn't breathing when they first delivered her. But they got her breathing, and the doc said she was going to be just fine. The mother is doing well too.

I just got back from my parents house, where I exchanged my fathers horse (which I had borrowed) for my horse (the one in the pictures that I got for my birthday). Everything went swell until I got home and introduced my horse, Mimi, to Kiri's horse, Musty. A horse fight ensued, with me holding on for dear life, trying to separate the damn horses and not get trampled, kicked, or bit in the process. Having been trampled, bit and kicked in the past, I was not keen to repeat the experience. So, now they are in separate corrals, starring each other down to see who will blink first. Christ, why can't anything ever be easy.

I must say, I am quite excited to start riding my new horse.

Funny Visitor Question
Visitor: Which hat should I wear on my hike?
Ranger Kodi: eh?
Visitor: Should I wear the ball cap, which I usually wear in forested areas, or should I wear the visor, which I usually wear in hotter weather?
Ranger Kodi: Either one will be fine. (while secretly thinking, Dude! It's a hat, for Christ's sakes)

Quick note: We had a search and rescue where this silly man was rappelling into a very difficult canyon, and a big boulder fell on his foot. Unfortunately, the man was wearing sandals, and had to have 3 toes amputated, though the boulder did most of the amputation before the doc did the rest. The multitudes of unprepared, ignorant hikers lacking any common sense whatsoever never cease to amaze me.

The spell check wanted me to replace Christ with crust. funny

4 comments:

lonna said...

Congratulations! Wow I was 34 when I became a mother. I'm glad that everybody's healthy.

I am also amazed at the things that people are willing to do with sandals or flip flops. My husband's a chemistry professor and students try to go to lab with them on. Personally, I wouldn't want scary chemicals on my bare toes.

hazel said...

I would probably do that sandals thing. because I am stupid.

horse fight! it does seem rather dangerous, what with the hooves and the rearing and all that. glad you're okay, grandma.

Missuz J said...

Jesus Crust!

We can't wait to meet the new horse. I hope those two will start getting along soon.

Call me!

Kathryn said...

Yes congratulations! My step mother will only be 40 (although she acts like she's 65) and I have a lot of fun teasing her.

You have the job that I would love to be qualified for, but don't think I ever will be. And you have a horse, I'm jealous!