Friday, August 19, 2005

sooooo slleeepppyyy

I'm so tired. Long day at work. I'm so looking forward to the weekend. I'm just gonna sleep and sleep. Thank god school has started, now I can sleep in on Mondays with no one the wiser.

Kiri seemed to enjoy her first couple days of school. She has been getting up pretty early to do her hair and makeup, which is okay until I try to get into the bathroom to brush my teeth or pee, or brush my teeth while peeing (hahahaha). I forgot what a bathroom hog she is. We need a bigger house with 2 bathrooms in it, damn it! The thing is, I don't want to CLEAN a bigger house. I tend to just find a drawer or closet and stuff things in them, and I know a bigger house would not cure me of that. I laughed at Becca's blog about things piled on the bookshelf when only books should reside there. Currently in (and on) my bookshelf I have....
1. books (but not neatly tucked as they should be but stuffed every which way because I have too many books and not enough room).
2. A teddy bear I brought back from Virginia
3. Photo albums
4. An eagle sculpture collecting mounds of dust
5. A toy car my dad gave me ages ago
6. Earrings (Kiri's)
7. nail file
8. School papers
9. bobby pins and elastic bands
10. bic lighter
11. Postcards I filled out while in Virginia and never sent off

So, I'm a bit of a slob. Not hopelessly so, but I am somewhat of a clutter person. About twice a year I get the "I'm going to get organized" bug and clean furiously, finding the right place for all my things, and throwing away or giving away all those things I don't want or need anymore. It lasts about a week, then stuff starts getting piled up again.

My husband on the other hand is a clean freak. He is constantly vacuuming, picking up, and throwing things away. I get very angry sometimes when he throws my stuff away, but then I say to myself "Kodi, if you would've PUT it where it belonged instead of piling it on the kitchen table, he wouldn't have thrown it away." It keeps my clutter in check. He drives me crazy with the throwing away of things, but I'm sure I drive him crazy with the clutter. We even each other out.

Unfortunately, Kiri takes after her mother times 10, and her room is a disaster. I can't even look at it. It even drives me crazy, and I'm pretty lax on the cleaning stuff. But, my God, at least my shit is stuffed away out of sight. You can't even walk into her room without tripping, or slicing your foot open on some object or another. I gave up even trying to keep her room clean. Now, when she wants money, I make her clean her room. Bribery is the only way to win. How sad.

I was embarrassed when Becca and Sophie came to visit, because Soph wanted to see Kiri's fish and they saw how messy (and messy really doesn't even come close to describing it) Kiri's room is. But I know Becca and Soph love me and Kiri anyway, so whatever. I had a lovely visit with them, and felt silly that I forgot to offer Becca a glass of wine. She always offers me a drink when I visit her, and I totally failed in the hostess department. Sorry, Becca. Love ya girl.

6 comments:

amandak said...

Don't worry about Becca seeing Kiri's mess, you should have seen her room at that age. Yikes.

Missuz J said...

Messiness is a sign of an original and creative mind. (That sounds good, huh? I just made it up.)

Don't sweat the wine. I had my hands a bit full of puppy and kid to juggle a glass.

hazel said...

I always used to ask my mom what the big deal was with me and my room. like why did it have to be clean if no one was going to see it but me? nowadays, I hate seeing trent's room a mess, and he's not even that messy. I'm not the cleanest crayon in the box, but I do like things somewhat orderly, but I have to say that as of yet, even though his room can bother me, I have NOT turned into my mother. not yet, anyways.

Katy said...

I seem to remember a time when Mom was helping Becky clean her roon and she asked why she kept the things she kept. The brilliant and creative answer, was "So McGeyver knows where to come next time he has to save the world." Hehehe. You should see my room, and I'm almost a grown up.

NME said...

No one lays on their deathbed wishing they spent more time cleaning. Try not to sweat the small stuff. (I say after running around trying to clean for expected guests tomorrow).

A Man without a Band said...

I meant to tell you this the other night, but as a friend (or at least as far as I'm concerned), if I'm ever over and need a drink, I'll help myself to one (and would expect you to do the same). If you offer, I'll probably accept, but I'm sure I can speak for Becca and say that she probably wasn't sitting there thinking "why isn't Kodi offering me a glass of wine?"

As far as messy, I don't think anybody expects a teen's room to be clean, except Ken maybe. By the way, do you still think you guys even each other out? You're both talking by now, I hope.

And for bookshelves, well you've seen mine. All that other stuff adds character. I try ("try" being the keyword) to only keep books on my shelf that are either A-great importance/significance or B-waiting in line to be read.