Monday, January 09, 2006

People from Pennsylvania ROCK!

Yesterday, Becca, Katy, Kiri and I all went down to Las Vegas to hang with Patrice and family. We had lunch at a great BBQ place then wandered around the Paris hotel for a bit. Becca, Patrice and I gambled for a bit, and then, unfortunately, the day was over and we had to head back home.

I was a bit nervous to meet Patrice. I wanted to make a good impression, but didn't want to look like I was trying to make a good impression or seem fake in anyway. I couldn't have been more comfortable with Patrice, Sean, Trent, and Bella. They were so nice, and funny, and...Well...cool.

So, here is my list of things I love about Patrice.
1. I love that Patrice looks you in the eye when you are speaking to her
2. I totally dig Patrice's sense of humor.
3. I love that when I burped multiple times, Patrice just laughed. I had some weird stomach issues that day, and was burping up a storm. I have always been rather free with my burps, though I do excuse myself afterwards. Some people are offended by my burpage, but Patrice was not, thank God.
4. It was nice of Patrice not to be angry with me when she lost $10 on the Wheel of Fortune slot machine that I recommended. Sorry Patrice.
5. Patrice has to be one of the easiest people in the world to talk to, and if I lived back East, I could totally see us hanging out on a regular basis.
6. And, wow, she is really pretty too, and looked smokin hot in that black lacy shirt she wore to lunch.

Baby Bella was adorable, and very well behaved. Katy immediately took her under her care, and the little tyke loved her. When Kiri was that age, she would've been screaming and kicking within minutes of arriving at the restaurant. What a sweet little girl Bella is.

Sean was, well, the only word I can think of to describe him is COOL. He seemed right at home amongst the girls, joking and laughing and sharing in the conversation. I was filled with delight when he grinned and gave us all a thumbs up sign, which happens to be my favorite hand signal and I use it quite often. The dude was just too cool. Kiri, Trent, Bella, Sean, and Katy all toured the hotel while the rest of us gambled, and Kiri thought Sean was way cool too. She thought it was neat that he was upset when the staff wouldn't let them on some part of the tower or something because he was accompanied by children. Kiri said he wasn't upset for himself being denied, but that the kids were denied. I think Kiri took to Sean right away.

Trent was surprising on many levels. He was patient (which hello Kiri, take some pointers babe) and never complained when the adults talked forever in the restaurant. He obviously enjoyed his huge plate of BBQ chicken. He was attentive to his little sister, keeping her from toppling off the steps, and he has the most amazing deep beautiful voice.

I was disappointed that we couldn't stay longer. Patrice said they will probably be back next year, so I suggested we make it a tradition, and next time we'll come down on Saturday and spend the night. Hopefully someday we can all travel over to Pennsylvania and meet Nicole as well.

OH! And I forgot to tell everyone what Kiri gave me for Christmas. I am such a dolt. The gift Kiri gave me was a beautiful quilt that she made herself. I seriously got tears in my eyes when I opened it up. I love it! It was the greatest gift I have ever received, and I snuggle up on the couch with it every night.

Note to self: take picture of said quilt and post on blog.

Love to you all.

6 comments:

lonna said...

That's great that you guys had so much fun together. Patrice went to high school with my husband. That's the only reason that I have met her, and I am so lucky.

A quilt from a teenager is an amazing and thoughtful gift. Wow. What a lot of work.

NME said...

You are too sweet - and did a great job of describing the Patrice family. Glad you had a good time - and hoping we get to meet yall some day too.

WOW! She made a quilt! That is so fantastic and so touching. Can't wait to see it.

OMH said...

The weekend sounds GREAT!

May I point out what you already know - you have an awesome daughter, I can't wait to see the quilt. Hmmmmmm could I put in my order for a Kiri quilt?

amandak said...

Lucky Ducks. That sounds like a great time. Wish I could have been there. Maybe next year.

How sweet that Kiri made you a quilt! We definitely need pictures of that one.

Hugs!

shawnak said...

I want to go to Vegas too!!!! (insert whining here) I can only imagine what Patrice is like in "real" life. I totally dig her blogs!
I echo the others in saying you have a thoughtful caring daughter! What a cool gift!

hazel said...

this is so sweet!!!!!!!! and thank you for saying I looked pretty even though my arms looked like sausages sprouting from a maternity shirt. you're very kind.

I loved meeting you and kiri (and the smith sisters) and I felt right at home with you too. I was so glad we had a chance to talk by the fountain while becca was finding the rest of the crew in paris. you seem like one tough chick, exactly the kind of person I love to hang out with. someone who knows who she is. and you have really cool hair - so long and curly. that's the kind of hair I've always tried to achieve while perming. (and have never actually aquired.)

I know we'll be out again and we'll see you guys. I can't wait.