Monday, September 29, 2008

Conflicted

I went backpacking on Friday night with a bunch of young college kids. They kicked my ass on the trail. I was definitely the old lady of the group.
We went on the East side of Zion, and it was very pretty. I have some pretty nice gear, but the sleeping pads they make for backpackers are for shit. I know I could get something comfy-er, but that would add like 10 extra pounds on my pack and take up too much room. But you'd think that if we can put people in a space shuttle and take them to the moon, we could make a lightweight yet soft and comfy sleeping pad for backpackers. I swear my hips were aching within an hour of laying there. Then I had strange dreams that Kiri had brought home two dogs and I was worrying about how to take care of all the animals.
The next morning I woke up and found that a mouse or a squirrel had chewed on the sucky tube on my camel pack that I had JUST purchased last week. Damn rodents.
Oh, the funniest part was when I woke up in the middle of the night and I had to pee. I crawled out of my tent and walked what I thought was a good distance from the campsite. I didn't bring a headlamp, so I thought I was peeing next to a big black rock. I was mid-stream, when the rock started to snore. I was totally urinating next to one of the college kids tents. I felt kind of stupid, but I also had to chuckle.
On the way back to the trailhead, we saw 6 bighorn sheep. That was awesome.
I stopped on the way home and bought a 32 oz Mt. Dew and some Cheetos. Then I went to Becca's house and gorged myself on veggies and dip.
It was a pretty good weekend.

1 comment:

hazel said...

wait, when did you start blogging again??????

??????????????????????????????

how fantastic that you'd just chuckle upon finding you're peeing next to a tent. I would be freaking out. you're great.