Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Sweet Wilderness

So, I'm back. The backpack was super fun. There were a few set backs, however. We didn't hit the trail until 3:00 p.m. because I had to do a program for 75 children at 1:00 on Friday. I got that finished (whew!), threw my stuff in my bag and met Amanda on the trail. It was a pleasant hike in, nice and cloudy with a little breeze. We hiked about 5 miles in to our campsite. Jared was waiting there already (he had packed in the night before). We cooked our dinner, discussing Leave No Trace techniques until bedtime. What is it about eating in the outdoors? EVERYTHING tastes good. I could eat rocks with cheese, and it would taste good in the wilderness.

During my discussion, I felt something crawling on my foot. I thought it was an ant, and didn't worry about it, and kept lecturing. It crawled between my toes, and I clenched my toes together. I looked down, and there was big black spider legs sticking out between my toes. Yeck!!!! Jared thought it was hilarious. I just calmly cleaned the spider guts out of my toes, and continued my lesson.

That night I was sleeping in the tent, and having terrible dreams. I dreamed all these people were hiking the trail, and breaking the rules and I couldn't stop them. It was very stressfully.

The next morning, it started raining, and it rained and rained and rained and rained. We hiked out in mud and muck, soaked to the skin and I loved every bleeding minute of it. I was pure mud from the knees down, and my fleece jacket was so soaked I had to keep ringing it out as I hiked.

I slept well in my own bed Saturday night, after a wonderful party with my friends. I was stiff and sore, but very content. Sunday morning, Kiri and I saddled up the horses and went for a ride. It was fabulous. However, any muscles that weren't sore before the horseback ride, were screaming for mercy after. All in all a wonderful weekend. I took my friend Jennifer's daughter riding on Monday, but I let Kiri and her ride while I smoked cigarettes in secret behind the shed.

My house is dirty and the laundry is piling up, but I don't care. I had a great weekend.

1 comment:

Missuz J said...

I demand a horse back ride sometime in the next 3 days. It's my freakin' turn!

p.s.--Sophie is ok, but I'm going to seek a second oppinion on her elbow, which seems to be getting worse.