Monday, June 06, 2005

Booze, Sun, Family, and Horses

Wow. I haven't posted anything in a while. Becca says I'm a total blog slacker, which is quite true. I keep meaning to post, then get caught up in other things, and well, that's my lame excuse.

I have so much to talk about. It has been a very interesting week. Memorial Day sucked. It was busy as hell, and we were short on staff. I ended up only getting one day off that week. However, I took the following Saturday off for a fun-filled 3 day weekend at my parents house. My brother was also visiting my folks, so it ended up being somewhat of a rare family get together.

First off, before I even left town, I had to get the horse trailer. My parents had given Kiri a horse for her birthday clear back in January, and we still hadn't picked her up. Kiri was very anxious to get her horse, so I decided this trip was an excellent excuse to bring horses home. I was borrowing my dad's older horse to ride with her for a while. So, I'm completely stressed trying to get horse trailer, clothes, games, gifts, tent(we were sleeping outside), food, and all the other items involved with a trip to see the fam. Fortunately, I thought to bring the xbox. More on that in a minute.

Finally we hit the road, trailer in tow. It's a glorious afternoon. I finally arrive at my folks house 2 hours later, and my brother is already there with his ginormous camp trailer (spoiled brat). I hadn't seen my brother Shane in a while, so was super pleased to see he was already there. AND lo and behold, my dad had bought a big pool and was filling it up as I pulled in. YIPEE. It also happens to be Shane's birthday as well, and he shows me the cool portable DVD player my parents had given him. I commence to tell him that he has always been the golden boy of the family and gets the best gifts. Totally teasing of course, my folks had given me a washer and dryer a while back, so I really wasn't complaining. Then I go over to the barn to see the new little baby horse. He was only a week old and totally adorable. As I'm there I notice a new horse. She's gorgeous. Black and white paint with perfect conformation and a pretty little head. I walk over to her and she's friendly as hell. She sniffs my hair and licks my face, spreading goobers all over me, but I really don't care. I very casually joke to my brother that I wish my parents would give me this horse instead of the old one I'm borrowing. Then my dad walks up and asks me if I like his new mare. I tell him yes in no uncertain terms. Then he says "Well, Kodi, we bought her for you. She's yours." HOLY SHIT. I have a new horse. A GORGEOUS HORSE!!!!!!!! Hurray. Then I feel a little guilty about complaining about the old horse, and calling Shane the golden boy.

So complete bliss. We hop in the pool and progress to the drinking of much alcohol. I break out the Xbox, and my Karaoke Revolution. We are all having a blast singing and drinking. My dad, who is completely tone deaf, starts singing "Looking for some Hot Stuff" I have never laughed so hard in my life! My 61 year old very religious father singin looking for some hot stuff baby this evening totally off key was the funniest thing I had seen in a long time.

So needless to say, it was a great trip. I'm glad to be home. I took some snapshots of the new horse, and will post them soon.

Funny Visitor Questions:
"Are there any hiking trails I can take my car on?"(no, hence the important word HIKING)
"Do Eagle Scouts get into the Parks for free?"(no, we charge them double)
"Is there anything else I can do with my kids in the Park besides driving and hiking?" (no, our roller coaster isn't finished yet)
"Is it worth driving up the scenic drive?" (hmmmm, well since they usually make national parks in the ugliest places, it probably isn't worth it)

2 comments:

amandak said...

Yay, a post from Kodi!! Congrats on the new horse, sounds like a great opportunity for you and Kiri to spent some quality bonding time. Nice to hear you had such a good time with the fam, hopefully a little of that is going around and I'll have a great time with mine. We'll be getting into town probably Thursday, can't wait to see you!

hazel said...

hot stuff, indeed! so you got a new horse? this is like a totally different world for me...horses, religious fathers, this "hi-king" thing you speak of...

nah, I love the outdoors. but I've never been on a horse, much less owned one. congrats!!