Thursday, October 20, 2005

Doodle bug

So, I'm finished with my supervisory training for the year. Thank the Lord. The lecturer wasn't so bad, fairly entertaining actually, but I must occupy my hands somehow during endless hours of listening to someone else talk. I ended up going through my entire training guide, coloring in all the letters that have holes (does that make sense?), and doodling little pictures in the margins. It was pretty informative, though I have done the personality tests so many times with different results that I must be trying too hard.

So I was pleased to see that Missuzj has tagged me. Here goes.

Ten Years Ago: Okay, lets see. I was 24. I had been divorced for 3 years, and still pretty bitter about it. I had just moved to Cedar City the year before to finish up my bachelors degree, and was struggling with school, taking care of an almost 4 year old girl, and feeling desperately lonely. I had zero friends, no family in the area, and living in a dump of a basement apartment that I couldn't afford. I had been seeing Kendall for a while by then, and enjoyed dating him, but was so against the thought of marriage or commitment that I often gave him the cold shoulder in hopes he would get frustrated and quit calling me. He had asked me to marry him earlier that year, and I laughed in his face. I seriously can't imagine why he stuck around. Except for Kiri, my life sucked. The only things that kept me from an total mental breakdown was the fact that I loved my little girl more than anything, and I was driven to excel in my studies. I cared about little else besides those two things.

Five Years Ago: I had been working for the Park Service for 2 years and been married to Ken for 3 years by that time. I had found my greatest treasures unexpectedly in Becca, Kelli, and Jennifer. Kiri was 8, and still thought her mother was the smartest, prettiest, greatest woman in the world. We had just moved into the little white house in the center of town, which just happened to be a block away from Missuzj. Missuzj quickly became my mentor, confidante, and closest friend. Kendall nicknamed our new home "the covered wagon" because it is as old as the pioneers (or damn close).

One Year Ago: Kiri and I had just returned from Norway one year ago. It was a fabulous trip, though Kiri was a little grumpy and impatient at times. I snapped at her a couple times, and then felt really bad about it. At one point she was rolling her eyes and being a general pain because she didn't like our choice of activity and I yelled at her "I should've just left your grumpy ass home." Another time I told her she was ruining my vacation, and hurt her feelings really badly. Overall, we got along well and enjoyed ourselves immensely.

Five Snacks: Cheetoes, deep fried motzerella cheese (which I love to eat but cannot spell), twix bars, kettle corn popcorn, hot fudge sundae.

Five Songs I Know All the Words To: Son of a Preacher Man, Dream On (Aerosmith), They Both Reached For The Gun (Chicago), Sandman (Metallica), Pinball Wizard (The Who).

Five Things I Would Do with $100 mill: Put Kiri through college, buy a new house, buy my parents a new house, build a fantabulous horse arena, donate to Lupus research.

Five Things I Would Never Wear: a dress, stiletto heels, Ug boots (ala Brittney Spears), leather chaps paired with only silk panties (ala Christina Agulera), thong underwear.

Five Favorite TV Shows: Forensic Files, Survivor, Jeff Corwin Experience, VH1 specials, Going Tribal

Five Biggest Joys: Kiri, snakes, Kendall, my animals, my friends.

Five Favorite Games: Solitaire, Trivial Pursuit, Black Jack, Dominoes, Scrabble

5 comments:

hazel said...

ooo, I like forensic files too!!

so how did you overcome your commitment fear? ken seems like a nice guy.

I've snapped like that at trent too and have always felt guilty about it afterwards. lucky our kids are forgiving.

NME said...

Isn't it amazing what a difference five years makes? Unreal.

We snap like that in our teens - and vice versa. I clearly remember telling my mom I hated her just to upset her. Things can get ugly in the heat of close quarters and rebellion. But it passes.

Twix is one of my favorite candybars. It gets extra points for being a two for one deal.

Missuz J said...

Is still remember the first time you came over to party--and also how long it took us to be totally comfortable being friends. Remember when we'd call eachother, wanting to hang out, we were both to shy and insecure to actually say it.

"Hey!"
"What are you doing?"
"Nothing. How about you."
"Oh. Nothing."
"Hmm. Well. Hope you have a good day."
"Uh. Yea. You to."
"Well--bye"
"Bye"

Silliness!

lonna said...

I love the Jeff Corwin experience too. He shows some fascinating things.

It looks like we need to all have a blogging buddies meet-up and play one wicked game of Trivial Pursuit.

shawnak said...

I remember you and your not wanting a marriage commitment with Kendall. I can't believe you have been together so long, it seems like yesterday. He sounds great,I can't wait to meet him this summer.
And as for your friends, Ilove missuzj and read her blog and Patrice's blog faithfully. They are very witty and I usually laugh my ass off. Yay for cool friends