Monday, October 24, 2005

Some background info

I figured most of you don't know much about my background, so I'd write a little about where I came from and big events of my life. Lets start out with my childhood.

Overall, I had a happy childhood. There were some ups and downs of course, but I had a loving family and great friends.

I was born in Salt Lake City, Utah. I was almost born in Red River, New Mexico. That's where my folks lived when I was conceived. The nearest hospital was 2 hours away, and the doctor decided it would be best to fill my father in on how to deliver a baby in case they didn't make it to the hospital on time. My father promptly packed his family up and moved to Salt Lake.

One of my best childhood memories is of my best friend Brandi. We would play for hours every day. One of our favorite games was pretending we were King Kong and our barbies were Jessica Lange.

When I was 6, my brother, cousin and I were crossing a busy street to get to Sunday School (which for some reason was held on a Wednesday). I remember the day fairly clearly. We had just learned about looking both ways before crossing the street in school that week. So I looked both ways....no cars. I started running across the street and then darkness. The young man who had hit me got out of his truck, and seeing the damage the 6 year old girl had done to his vehicle, then exclaimed "MY TRUCK!" Fucking Prick. My brother saw and heard the whole thing. I was in the hospital for 2 months with a fractured skull, broken ribs, broken hip, ruptured spleen (which was quickly removed) and a mouth full of broken teeth. This would not be the last time I busted out all my teeth. The man who hit me was uninsured, and left town after a insincere apology to my parents.

At the age of 7, my parents decided to live in the country. We moved to Hinckley, Utah. I thought my life was over when I said my last goodbye to my friend Brandi.

My father is an electrician, but was raised on a farm in Preston, Idaho, and always craved the small town life. We raised 180 acres of alfalfa, had numerous chickens, dogs, cats, horses, and pigs. I found that farm life suited me just fine. I was a tomboy who loved the outdoors, my horse, and privacy.

At the age of 12, I was in Karate class and blew out my knee. I had surgery, and recovered fairly quickly. When I was 13, I got bucked off my horse and busted out all of my front teeth, six teeth total. I still bear faint scars on my face from that incident. At 14, I was playing football with my friend Becky and her very cute brothers and blew my knee out again. This time I not only tore tendons and ligaments, but I broke the knee cap itself into 3 separate floating pieces. The good part was when Becky's hot brother Mel carried me to the car and drove me to the hospital. That part was heaven.

That was my childhood, the quick version. Perhaps when I am feeling melancholy, I'll relate my first marriage to you all. It will take about 4 paragraphs as I was married of a grand total of one year, but only with the man for about six months. Just long enough to get pregnant. I still believe to this day that having my daughter saved my life. Both physically and mentally.

More to come another day.

6 comments:

lonna said...

Wow, you certainly put your body through some serious stuff back then. I guess that it was probably good practice for your job.

That's cool that you wer able to move to the country and love it. I know that some people are just made for that life.

Missuz J said...

Heya. I know you told me about that car accident--but I guess I never quite processed how serious it was. Damn dude--you take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

shawnak said...

yummmmm Mel and Joel yummmm! Those boys made that summer Ispent down there WELL WORTH IT hee hee. Hey you never told about falling out of the truck when we were driving all the while holding onto the Jaws soundtrack on the eight track tape. After we stopped to see if you were okay, me and Shane laughed for days. Ohhh poor girl! I love old memories

hazel said...

holy shit, look at all the stuff you have that used to be broken!! that getting hit by a car story is like my worst nightmare (well, one of them) about my kids. I'm so glad you were okay. truck vs. 6 year old doesn't always work out so well. and the knee thing? ew. and again, it seems to have not held you back.

so yeah, what happened with the first marriage? I can't wait to hear it. because you seem so with it now, it's hard to imagine anything else.

NME said...

Damn girl! That's alot of livin.

It must have been really wierd to spend two months in the hospital at such a young age. Whenever I hear about that sort of trauma I wonder how much the experience shaped the child's personality.

Do tell about the ex!

Kathryn said...

Goodness! Your poor knee! (among other things)