Thursday, October 27, 2005

Horse boogers

I met up with the farrier (horse hoof trimmer and shoeing type person) today to get my horses hooves trimmed up. It was colder than outer darkness (you other mormon people will enjoy the reference). My horse likes to put her head on my shoulder while I scratch behind her ears, and she did this while the farrier was working on her feet. Next thing I know, I'm covered in horse slobber. I mean she soaked my whole left shoulder and ran down my back and in the front past my boob. Nothing better than horse boogers right before you go home to watch Survivor and eat pizza.

The farrier was a young man around 25, and totally adorable. Cuter than....well, cute. Very smart and witty as well. So, it wasn't all bad.

I got Kiri's grades for the first semester. She got 4 A's, 1 B, 1 C+, and 1 F. How do you get 4 A's and one F? It really baffles me. She blames it on the 3 days of school she missed last week because she was sicker than a dog. I guess she missed a test. But even so, how does one test drop a grade to an F? I don't know whether I should talk to her teacher and see if she can make up the work and get her grade changed, or just hope she does better from now on. What do you all think I should do?

A quick memory I have of my brother and I when we were around 9 and 12 years of age ( I was 9, he was 12). One winter our outside faucet froze solid, and we had to haul buckets of hot water from the house to the horse trough, a total of about 300 feet one way, back and forth until the trough was full. The water had to be hot to melt all the fucking ice already in the trough. This had to be done in the morning before school and again after school, all winter long. We would bundle up in my dad's heavy overalls and oversized coats, and haul water back and forth. We would race each other, and end up spilling half the bucket on our pantlegs, which would then freeze solid. The sun would start coming up just when we were finishing up, and I remember watching the sunrise with my older brother, in complete silence. Even though that sucked ass carrying water, the sunrise was always beautiful, and made the task not so terrible.

That same winter, it rained then froze, and our whole field was one solid ice rink. Shane (my bro) and I got our old wooden sled out, the kind with the wooden planks on top and metal skids on the bottom. We'd take turns running with the sled towards the ice, then hurling ourselves forward and sliding forever. Then Shane decided he had to get the farthest out yet, and ran full bore towards the ice, leapt on the sled too far forward. The sled tipped upwards and he smacked his face on the ice and slid a good long ways on his face, with his legs up in the air on the tilted sled. I ran over to him, laughing my ass off of course, and helped him stand up. Then he spit blood all over the ice and I saw his lips were mangled. I did quit laughing when I saw that.

I also accidentally kicked my brother's two top front teeth out once when he was tickling me. He to this day says I did it on purpose, but I swear to God it was an accident. He was a cool brother. I love that dude.

6 comments:

NME said...

It's so great to read posts about your experiences because it is SO very different than mine. I can't even imagine hauling those buckets of hot water in the freezing cold - let alone finding something to enjoy about it. You are an amazing woman, without a doubt.

It's great you have a close bond with your brother.

hazel said...

hauling hot water to the horses? it's a whole different world. I always wanted a bond with my brother like that. he's much older than I am so our bond was not much more than him grabbing my face and farting into it or shoving me into the basement with the light off.

horse boogers!!! if it makes you feel any better, I walked around with dried snot on the back of my shoulder for most of the day yesterday until someone mentioned it to me and I washed it off. at work.

lonna said...

For some reason being covered in horse boogers in the cold sounds really uncomfortable.

What interesting stories about your brother. The sunrise story sounds so beautiful. I didn't really get to enjoy my brother until he left for college. He is 3.5 years older than me, but he was a real jerk to me when we were both living at home. I think that my parents were really good at subtly pitting us against each other. We were never obviously compared to each other, but I think that my brother didn't know what to think of me. Once my parents were no longer involved in a hardcore authoritarian way, he relaxed.

Missuz J said...

Can't wait for Uncle Shane to come party with us SOON! Horse boogers. Yuck.

shawnak said...

I totally remember the kicking out of the teeth. YUUUCCKK! I remember Shane tickling you on the sleeper sofa bed. I was standing by watching and laughing until your leg came up and hit him in the mouth and he grabbed his mouth and walked into the kitchen and spit on the floor and you and I heard pieces of teeth hit the linoleum. Yuuuccckk again! Itotally believe you didn't do it on purpose b/c the look on your face was pure horror.
I always admired you and Shane for all the ungodly chores you had to do. Such strong awesome people I am related to. I can barely get out of bed at 7 am when it's dark and cold out!
I miss you both..tons!

Katy said...

So this uh cute 25 year old farrier type guy... did you stop to think that you have a cute 22 year old friend that hasn't been on a date in a year?? Could you hook me up? hehehe, sorry, one track mind.

Boogers, gross.

Shane stories, sweet. Except for the spitting blood part. EEW.

As for Kiri's F, if it was a final type test and her grade was already around a C then yeah, I can totally see the fall to the F. Grades suck. Anyway, I don't know whether you should ask her teacher about make up work or not. It depends on the importance of the class I guess, if it's one of those have to have to graduate classes then she'll probably have to make it up anyway. If it's an elective the probably just talk to her and see if she's having real trouble with the class and see if there's anything you can do to help.