Thursday, October 13, 2005

My ass hurts from all that driving

I'm back. Hurrah! I missed all of you terribly. The trip was fun, and I definitely want to go back again, but it feels good to be home.

We left early Monday morning and drove all the way to Page, Arizona. As we pull into the restaurant in Page, my car starts making a god awful noise, and I'm thinking "Shit, there goes the vacation". Kendall makes me stick my finger through the hubcaps and feel if there is any pad left on my brakes. All I feel is HOT metal. So we see a Big O tire, and it's only 4:00 p.m. Arizona time, so we decide to try and get them fixed pronto.

We walk into Big O and wait at the counter. And we wait, and we wait, and we wait. I'm all for going to eat, and try again in the morning, but Ken wants to get them fixed NOW, so he marches through the EMPLOYEES ONLY door to the garage. I can only hear his side of the conversation but it goes something like this.
Ken: I need my brakes fixed today
Big O dude: mumble mumble mumble
Ken: You don't look busy
Big O dude: mumble mumble
Ken: I need to speak to your boss
Big O dude: mumble mumble (a note of distress in his voice)
Ken: What is your boss's number, I'll call him at home
Big O dude: mumble mumble!
Ken: You bet your ass I'll call him at home, now what is his number
Big O dude: mumble, mumble mumble (a note of resignation in his voice)
Ken: Hey, thanks man, I really appreciate it.

Ken then sticks his head back into the waiting area, and tells me to pull my car around, they were going to fix my brakes right now. Thirty minutes later, we had new brakes. Ken supervised the entire installation, making sure it was done correctly, then tipped the guy $10 after it was all finished. Sometimes it is nice to have a pushy man around to get things done. I would have never dared to walk into the garage and threaten the mechanics into submission.

We left Page and drove to Navajo National Monument. I hiked around there, looking at petroglyphs and Anasazi ruins while Ken stayed with the dog (who was not allowed on the trail). This arrangement pleased everyone because Ken doesn't like to hike, and I don't like to hear him complain when I force him to hike. When I got off the trail, I purchased a Navajo cookbook from the gift shop, and am looking forward to making fry bread. I can also now cook a prairie dog, as there is a recipe for that in the book, but as the Utah Prairie dog is an endangered species, I don't think I should try that dish just yet.

Then, on to Monument Valley proper, stopping at all the Native American vendor booths all along the way. We must have stopped fifty times, and I eventually purchased a beautiful silver bracelet. Again, Kendall sprung into action, haggling with the vendor. Summary of the conversation follows.
Kodi: How much for this bracelet?
Native American woman: $65.00
Kendall: We'll give you $30.00
Native American: I can let it go for $55.00
Kendall: $35.00
Native American: $50.00
Kendall: All I have is $40.00. That's as high as I can go.
Native American: okay

I was blushing the entire time. I hate when Kendall haggles with people. He grew up in this area, and he tells me the Native Americans expect you to haggle with them. I don't know about that, it seems somewhat like taking advantage of them, but Ken says that haggling is part of their culture.

Monument Valley was stunning. I know this is a cliche, but it was truly breathtaking. I can't wait to post the pictures I have of it, though I really don't think they will do the place justice.

We spent the next night in Mexican Hat, then toured around Hovenweap for a few hours, which was very cool AND they allow dogs on the trail. I pondered on going to Mesa Verde, but Kendall wanted to head back to Page and head home the next day. I decided that Mesa Verde could wait. We had seen so much already, so we decided to head back.

Now I'm here, a day early and very happy to be home and sleeping in my own bed tonight. I'll post pictures soon.

7 comments:

lonna said...

I am glad that you had such a great time once you got the car fixed. How scary. I always assume the worst about car stuff. Ken sure is force to be reckoned with. I couldn't do any of that type of stuff. I lose my spine in business situations. I am excited to see your pictures. I have been out West very rarely and always on business.

I also love getting home from vacation with a day to spare. That lets me recover before I go back to the old grind. Welcome back!

amandak said...

YAY! Kodi's back!!

Sounds like a cool trip. I'm assuming you decided to let Kiri stay home? How'd that go?

It would be totally rockin for you to come to Flagstaff in the spring. Just warning you though, we didn't do much other than eat and play cards. Good times.

shawnak said...

Yay for vacations and Iam so glad you are back. Man Kendall sounds like my kind of guy. Next time I go to a mechinic I want him to go too! We would give them a run for their money. Well you got a recipe for Fry Bread huh? Let me know b/c no one on the Rez uses a recipe and each time I ask for one they chuckle and say I can show ya. My sis Shyenne rocks on making fry bread. She usually makes it for Q's b-day party. I think Kendall is right about the haggling, but I would have been too embarrassed to do it b/c Iknow how hard it is to make some of their stuff.

I can't wait to see your pics. Sometime you'll have to break it down how to post a pic b/c I am clueless. Oh grandma left today. I cried as usual, but Q and I are coming this summer for sure. DOes the end of June work for you?
Love ya tons

Kathryn said...

Sounds like heaven! My husband and I haven't been on a vacation like that since our honeymoon in Moab. He's going back this month to bike, I'm totally jealous!

hazel said...

I'm sorry, prairie dog?? what is fry bread? it sounds good. (the bread, I mean.)

I am so not a haggler. I would have gone into the back to find someone but I would have backed down when they said they couldn't do it. good for ken. I'd be blushing too, though.

good to have you back!!!

shawnak said...

Oh yeah, I forgot something. Just imagine how much you r ass would hurt if you weren't blessed with the Strand ass. Hee hee Jennifer Lopez has got nothing on us :)

Missuz J said...

I hate driving by your house and seeing that your car isn't there. It's not like I expect you to be home just in case I should happen to need you; but I do!

So glad you're back. Let's play dominoes tonight!

uztklkrc: navajo word for white guys who want to haggle